Monday, January 3, 2011

Diving in!

Some very dear friends of ours have been through an extraordinary difficult time in recent months. Their third child has arrived at a frightening 23 weeks and 6 days gestation, (yes, 16 weeks and 1 day prematurely) and so far he has been an absolute battler. He is over 2 months old now, but still has a long road ahead before he even comes home. I am endlessly inspired by their courage and love as a family, and I really wanted to gift them something special, so I am attempting my first baby quilt!!! I have decided to do a rag quilt, as I imagine it will hide the multitude of sins of a first time quilter.
I chose two pre-packed fat quarter selections in blues and greens, and a dinosaur print flannel for the back in similar colours. The batting is a bit of a mystery to me, but I went for the more environmentally sustainable bamboo batting.

I am having so much fun cutting and sewing, and it is especially rewarding to put some love and energy into something for a very special little boy and his family. They are just amazing! Living in rural areas means that the family (Dad + 2 older kids) will be living almost 3 hours away from the inner city hospital where baby is staying with his beautiful Mum by his side for about 3 months. I am endlessly inspired xxx  

2 comments:

  1. It's so nice to be able to do something constructive in these circumstances; I remember sewing taggies and kite cushions for my two nieces after they arrived surprisingly early, I was glad to be pouring my concern and good wishes into something. My thoughts are with your friends and their little ones. Good luck with the quilt!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou my one friend Bella! It has been very special creating something for my friends... hoping it turns out decent enough that they will actually want to use it haha! x

    ReplyDelete

I love your ideas, comments, feedback and conversation...