Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Play Dough and Bread makers.

I have a breadmaker.

But, if I am going to be honest... I have to say I haven't baked actual bread in it for years. But I am in no rush to re-home or do away with her just yet. You see, I discovered a new life for her, she is my mess-free playdough maker! My kids love playdough, but I hated making the sticky messy concoctions up, mixing and kneading. Blech!
So here is my no-cook recipe, which I was given several years ago by my mother, who is a dedicated child care worker.

2 cups plain flour (plus about another 1 cup to add later as required)
4 tablespoons of cream of tarter
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 cup of cooking salt
Food colouring of your choice
2 cups of boiling hot water

  • Add all ingredients to breadmaker in order specified by your model (Mine specifies wet ingredients 1st, with dry ingredients poured on top.)
  • Select "Dough" mode on your breadmaker, press start and leave it to do it's business. I find that 2 cups of flour is never enough, so I add more as required.
  • Once dough is formed (about 5-10 minutes) I removed in a neat ball from the non-stick bread pan, and gently knead on the bench to make sure it isn't too wet. (BE CAREFUL, the dough is very hot still at this point due to the boiling water!)
  • Keep wrapped in cling film or sealed in a container in fridge and it should last for weeks.
  • Straight from the fridge, dough tends to be quite hard and firm, so let come to room temperature first.
  • Dough becomes softer and more pliable the more it is manipulated
So when my kids want playdough, it take me 3 minutes to prepare, and very minimal cleanup! Hoorah!
ENJOY xxx
A pink pig!
love Mummamoments xxx

4 comments:

  1. Thank you chunkychooky! I am always very much pleased with myself if I can work out an easy alternative to a messy or crappy task hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had a baych of this last for MONTHS not weeks, Awesome recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Friend, this web site might be fabolous, i just like it. Bread Maker Black Friday Deals

    ReplyDelete

I love your ideas, comments, feedback and conversation...